Sunday, September 21, 2008

Forever Young

Last Wednesday we went to the same nursing home again. This time I talked to a funny grandma of ten who loves to knit, let’s just call her Marie. When I went into Marie’s room, she just got up from her day nap and first thing she said to me was “oh sorry, I was taking a nanny nap”. When she said that I knew straight away, I would have a very interesting conversation with her. Over an hour long conversation, she told me how she used to love to go dancing, especially foxtrot with her husband. She said she was so good that she got picked to dance with soldiers who safely return from the war. When she was telling me her life story, I couldn’t help but wonder how old she was, because she sounded very very young, so I did (in a very polite way of course). Apparently she’ll turn 90 next month (October). I was very much surprised because she certainly didn’t sound like it. Then Marie said “You know what, if you don’t think about your age and if you don’t think that you are old, you will always be young. Don’t worry about how old you are. Just live life as you like and you will have a happy life. Don’t concentrate on a negative, don’t be so difficult about everything and life will treat you well.” Ok this may sound very cheesy if I or someone my age says it but when you actually hear it from someone who actually has been through so much in life, you would really appreciate this kind of advice. Then she asked me how old I was so I told her, 22. Her reaction was, “You are a CHICKEN! Ha-ha and I am an old chuck!!” I thought the way she said it was hilarious and very cute at the same time!! Coz it’s nothing like I’ve ever heard before. I think this kind of thing is something that makes me think she’s a lot younger than she actually is.

JUST FOR FUN
At the end I asked Marie eight quick questions that we came up with before visiting the nursing home.
1) What is your favourite song? A: Unforgettable by Nate King Cole
2) What's a slang for being drunk? A: Boozed!
3) If you could have a super power what would it be? A: Invisibleness, I would be so bad, ha-ha! No but seriously, I hope there’s a super power that can take away all the sadness in the world, especially for little children
4) Who is your favourite prime minister? A: None of them! (She answered this question even before I finish saying the question)
5) Describe your ideal man. A: Patient, the most important factor in a relationship
6) What would you do if you win 5 million dollars? A: Give it to my 10 grand-children. I never had a problem spending money, 5 million can go easy!
7) If you have to have the same dinner for the rest of your life, what would it be? A: Who would ask such question!? Must think of a better question! But if I have to choose then it’ll be Chinese food, lemon chicken especially.
8) What do you think of global warming / Paris Hilton? A: Don’t know much / I think she’s just a show off. If she’s not rich n famous she would have a different personality.

RIKA**

1 comment:

John said...

Who is your favourite prime minister? A: None of them!
Interesting. Elder people have more wisdom than we expected. You should ask her why she think so.