Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Eating cats and rabbits.


Went to visit the nursing home again today. Now that we've been a few times it almost feels like a normal weekly routine. 

I had a chat to Harry and John, while the other girls talked to the residents they know... I think Rika's getting quite attached to Marie! 

So Harry and I talked about rabbiting again. Last time I thought he used to go rabbiting just for sport but turns out it was during the Great Depression of the late 1920s/early '30s and hunting rabbits was a way of getting a meal on the table. Out of all his brothers and sisters (9 of them) Harry used to get home from work first, so he'd skin the rabbits for his mum to cook - maybe as a casserole or rabbit stew, or baked. When I asked him if rabbit is similar to any other meat he paused for a fair while, then said:

"Well... hard to say. Well they're... it's a taste of its own. Look... when you get to see a cat, they're the same. If you feel the cat it would be the same body as the rabbit, y'know. Four legs. Two front ones. Two small ones and then two big back ones."

The cat description didn't really help me imagine the taste of rabbit... but I suppose they'd be similar in texture. (btw sorry to any pet lovers reading!)

Could you skin a rabbit? I think I could... I mean I eat meat and a wild rabbit caught then killed quickly has probably suffered less than the commercially farmed animals we get in the supermarkets. Ergh... I should probably eat less meat. 

Sarah xx

No comments: